This post is part of Library Day in the Life project. See: http://librarydayinthelife.pbworks.com/ for more information. I also participated previous rounds. You can find all my posts for this project by searching my blog’s librarydayinthelife tag. You can also follow my Twitter posts @slmcdanold with the hashtag #libday7.
Friday, July 29, 2011 and Saturday, July 30, 2011
My Friday ended up being an unplanned vacation day courtesy of my cat. I didn’t get any sleep at all on Thursday night due to multiple, um, hairball incidents. Every time I’d start to drift off there was another one. So Friday started with a phone call to the vet to discuss preventative measures. I spent most of the day alternating between napping, checking email, and watching the cat like a hawk for another hairball incident. Yes, I was pretty much useless. That’s what happens when I don’t get any sleep.
What that also means is that I have some work to do this weekend that didn’t happen yesterday and so I’m prepared for Monday. So after my Saturday morning trip to the local farmers’ market, I settled down with iced coffee and my laptop for a few hours starting around 11:30am to get some much needed work done via remote desktop.
First things first, edit the notes from the PCC hybrid bib records task group. I get them cleaned up and post them in Google Docs for the group to review. We all have our assignments for next week. My job is to start work on the introduction and background sections of our report.
I also answer several emails regarding local 856 practices (that’s the MARC field for URLs for you non-catalogers) and other miscellaneous emails. I also deal with comments on a proposed task force the PCC Standing Committee on Automation sent to the PCC Policy Committee. The feedback has been completely supportive, with a request to clarify at least one of the bullet points in the charge to prevent confusion as to the task force’s purpose. Easy. Done.
I finish up work on a couple of record sets. First I verify the corrections to that pesky set of errored records. I comb through the file one more time, checking for any additional non-MARC-8 characters. I think (key word: *think*) I got them all. I upload the file to the shared drive and put in the request to load the corrected file.
Next record set problem is a file that got corrupted. I play around with it, changing the extension to see if that works. Voila! The file is usable again! I run a few validation processes on the file, and then re-compile it back into MARC so it can be loaded into our system. I can’t believe it was that easy but I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak.
Finally I copy our monthly statistics. An automatically generated report uploads to a website each month, including both daily activity and a monthly summary of the activities of everyone in my unit, including myself. It’s a way to ensure nothing slips through the cracks when it comes to stats reporting. I have to submit a yearly report to our data librarian so he can submit statistics to the ARL and other groups. Between the automatic report on system activity plus the stats my staff submit (covering things the automatic report doesn’t include, such as deletions), my numbers are about as accurate as possible.
1:45pm And done. I clean out the email listservs and make sure everything is saved and disconnect/log off from remote desktop. And I still have most of my Saturday afternoon to go play (read: run errands).