This post is part of Library Day in the Life project. See: http://librarydayinthelife.pbworks.com/ for more information. I also participated previous rounds. You can find all my posts for this project by searching my blog’s librarydayinthelife tag. You can also follow my Twitter posts @slmcdanold with the hashtag #libday7.
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Arrive at my desk 8am.. Login to work network. Login to email, calendar, Voyager and Connexion, open GChat, open a browser, login to various web programs (including Evernote), start TweetDeck.
Read email. Forward and respond to necessary messages. Catch up on news feeds, work email listservs, and library-related Twitter lists. Scan subjects and then delete mass numbers of listserv messages.
I return to my troubleshooting for the newly loaded records that are throwing up a proxy error. It appears an errant extra character ended up between our proxy prepend and the URL somehow. I’m not sure what happened. So I send a request off to our tech/systems people to check the handle server tables to see where the extra character (quote mark) is being introduced (is it in the proxy end? or is it before the URL in the table? is it a set of quotes embedded in the URL?). After a brief email exchange, it appears there’s a random number of URLs from the collection with errant quotes embedded in them. It’s not systematic or predictable. I’ll have to fix them by hand and then have our tech/systems folks replace the URLs in the underlying handle server table. Good times.
I also submit a request to load a new update to a collection that’s ready.
Next I submit a request to run a new set of records through a script of standard edits that all our MARC record sets get before I make any additional edits/additions to the records. All of our records have a standard note added about our license as well as a unique modifier added to the 035 (system number) to make the set easy to identify for maintenance once it’s in the catalog. Other modifications the script can make is to convert a set of records for the print versions in to records for the online versions. These record sets are for local use only. Frequently the use is restricted by our license agreement when we get the records direct from the vendor, so they aren’t sent to any utility, which is why we can do this “quick and dirty” conversion.
9:30am Weekly meeting with my supervisor and Dept. head to talk about what’s going on. I have a short list of topics to discuss with her, and she usually has updates on things for me as well.
Back from my meeting and back to email. Feedback request on proposed PCC task force gets sent off to the Policy Committee.
The report on the URLs that need editing from the handle server table is waiting for me. Less than 15 minutes later they’re fixed, checked, and sent back to be replaced in the table.
I finish updating the spreadsheet we use to track MARC record sets and FTP it to the library’s website server.
And suddenly it’s 5 minutes to noon and time for lunch. It’s Wednesday, which means the guys from Beechwood Orchards are on campus with lots of fresh, local, and delicious fruit! It’s stone fruit season, and the options are overwhelming. I opted for nectarines and a pint of fantastic heirloom cherry tomatoes. They taste like summer!
After lunch I spend some time doing some CONSER cataloging. My intern (who unfortunately departed the end of June) did a lot of of work prepping a large number of records that need updating. I’m slowly working my way through the massive pile she left me. It’s a mix of print serials, online databases, online books, and some other weird stuff.
I also finish up a couple of serial records for print Bengali serials on cinema. Fortunately we have a number of language and subject area specialists that work in my library. When a resource is in a language I can’t read (Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese, Bengali, etc.), I start the serial record, and then pass it off to the language specialist who fills in the information for me from the resource and adds any fields in non-Roman scripts. I finish up the coding on the record once all the data has been transcribed (or described), and done! One record for a serial in a language I can’t read. It’s a very effective workflow.
2:30-4:00pm Monthly meeting for the supervisors’ group that I coordinate/moderate/chair. Lots of discussion.
Back to my desk to address/answer the deluge of email messages that arrived in the previous 90 minutes. Seriously. A deluge of email. Some days I swear my inbox is made of bunnies that are spawning more bunnies faster than the speed of light.
4:45pm Final email check. Clean out email listservs. Check Twitter and blog feeds. Schedule this post.
4:50pm Log out from network. Shut down (restart) computer. Leave work. A friend and I have post work plans for dinner (it’s the University City Dining Days so great deals at fantastic local restaurants) and the Harry Potter movie! A lovely mid-week break in my routine.