Library Day in the Life – Round 4, Day 3

See: for info on the project. I also participated in the last round in July 2009. You can find all my posts for this project (this round and the last round)by searching the librarydayinthelife tag.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

6:30am – Up. Shower. Breakfast. Coffee.

7:35am – Leave for work. A little later than I should have for the 1 mile walk, but everything is still taking a bit longer than normal with my gimpy left wrist.

8:12am – Login to work network. Login to email, calendar, chat, other various programs. Open up Voyager cataloging and acquisitions modules and OCLC Connexion. [Yes, I open my programs in a specific order…but what do you expect? I’m a cataloger.] Read email. Forward and respond to necessary messages. Accept a meeting in my calendar for next week and move another meeting. Catch up on news feeds, work email listservs. Scan subjects and then delete mass numbers of listserv messages. Start this post.

8:30am-9:05am – Open MarcEdit to look at a file of records and figure out why we’re getting errors when trying to load them. Some minor wrangling with the edit subfield data tool and voila! Fixed! Send email to colleague so records can be loaded into the catalog immediately.

9:10am – Start to track down colleague to discuss space needs in one of our storage rooms. We need shelves for rotating through the volumes to be barcoded. My colleague has a series of shelves in a room labeled as his but that aren’t being actively used anymore. I need those shelves and must persuade him to give them up. His status on chat says he’s busy. Damn. Decide to send email with what I need (and offer to bribe if needed), and will have to track him down in person later.

9:30am-10:25am – Weekly meeting with my boss.

10:30am – More emails about space for the barcoding project. It appears we’ll have the space we need!! w00t!

10:55am – Interruption from building manager about the drilling for the installation of the sprinkler system downstairs. Rooms are scheduled, but we’ll still have access during the installation process so nothing to worry about. Good.

11:00am – Pull up webpage I need to work on for my unit. Discover my (very basic) HTML editor has an update available. Close page. Update editor.

11:10am-11:30am – Field trip downstairs with colleague to look at shelves/space we’ll be getting for the barcoding project. It’s going to work beautifully!

11:30am-Noon – Web page editing. It’s been awhile, so the HTML knowledge is slow to resurrect itself in my brain. Many stops and starts and viewing source page data to remember all the code for the display I want.

Noon – Field trip outside to acquire a cupcake from the Buttercream Cupcake Truck!

[What actually happened: noon: staff person stopped by my desk with a question as I’m about to walk away, 12:05pm I walk away from my desk, 12:07pm stop to see if colleague in another department wants to come with and end up in side conversation about barcoding project, 12:15pm finally manage to leave the building after multiple interruptions/side discussions, 12:20pm acquire cupcake, 12:25pm acquire coffee (need more coffees today!), 12:30pm return to desk]

12:30pm-1:00pm – LUNCH. I mutilate my orange trying to peel it with my right hand again today.

1:00pm-1:25pm – More web page editing punctuated with breaks to deal with email, questions, etc.

1:25pm-1:35pm – Realize staff person doing barcoding has created hundreds of items with the wrong status (forgot to verify that the default got changed on his machine – an oops on my part, now fixed, make note to check the defaults on other staff person’s machine that’s working on this project) and the OPAC display is all wonky. Politely ask colleague in quality management who has bulk-change abilities to change all the items to the correct status so we don’t have to change them one by one. Fixed. Whew.

1:35-2:15pm – Back to webpage editing, which continues to be punctuated with email, questions, etc. I actually complete the update to one page. And I pull additional pages and documents off the server to work on. I prefer to edit a copy on my desktop, preview it, and then replace the file on the server once all is well. Safer. Prevents me from potentially screwing up a live page.

2:15-2:30pm – Prepare for 2:30pm meeting I co-chair with a colleague. Open meeting room, etc.

2:30pm-4:00pm – Meeting. Have to take notes by hand. Learned that writing hurts my wrist much more than typing.

4:20pm-5:10pm – Return to desk after returning keys, etc. Email. Update calendar (force the sync via file transfer). Check in with staff. Answer a myriad of random questions that came up during the course of their daily work.

5:15pm – Schedule this post. Log out and close programs. Log out of network, shut down computer, and walk home.


About slmcdanold

I’m learning to laugh at myself on a daily basis. I’m a librarian (cataloger) and I love it. My job involves all things metadata related in any and all formats. I have been known to cause a ruckus when necessary (aka troublesome cataloger) and make no apologies for it. I have a passion for continuing education and teaching. I’m a newbie coder (still learning). I like to cook. I’m a fan of rugby (go Australian Wallabies!) and ice hockey (go Detroit Red Wings!). I’m car-free and bike/walk a lot. I’m learning to love running one stride at a time. I own (and love) a very mouthy cat with a punk attitude and a slightly neurotic rescue mutt.
This entry was posted in cataloging, librarianship, librarydayinthelife, work. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s