Library Day in the Life – Day 4

Thursday, July 30, 2009

6:30am: Wake up. Shower, prepare lunch and thermos of coffee, give cat small amount of milk as treat and appeasement for the upcoming daily abandonment. Take trolley to work since I left my bike there last night due to weather.

8:02am: Arrive at work.

8:07am: Login to work network. Login to email, calendar, other various and sundry programs. Open up Voyager cataloging and acquisitions modules and OCLC Connexion. Check to-do list made yesterday before I left. Check daily calendar and remember that I am doing some hands-on training for staff this morning (yay for calendars…if it isn’t written down it doesn’t exist!). Realize I forgot granola bar breakfast (*&%#@!). Go through stash in desk to find something to eat for breakfast. Decide on honey-sesame almonds and raisins.

8:13am: Check in with staff person. Remind her that the training is this morning, bring her handout, and it’s starts at 9:30am.

8:15am: Read email. Forward and respond to necessary messages. Finally get around to pouring coffee from thermos and drinking it. Catch up on news feeds, Tweets (TweetDeck FTW!), work email listservs. Scan subjects and then delete mass numbers of listserv messages. Start this post.

8:43am: Pull up file of records our system kicked back into an error file during a MARC record set load. There’s only 5 of them. Decide to load records individually and notify Metadata Specialist. Find titles in OCLC, import into our system. Done. Send email to Metadata Specialist with the system IDs.

9:01am: Pull out training materials for session this morning. Review my notes. All I need now is the login information for the machines in the electronic classroom from our tech people so we can access the library staff software on them. Serials Librarian opens chat with me and tells me he still has code we used last time…hmm…decide to test and hopefully it will work.

9:15am: Find 4 computers where we can log on and use the catalog! w00t! We got “run time” errors on the others. Still, four out of 16, while not great, are enough to do the training session. No more postponing!

9:30am: Hands-on training session for staff on how to search our local system more effectively. Stress that they must always do more than one type of search for a journal in our catalog – giving up after one search is NOT an option due to issues with how current our records are, typos, search errors on the part of the user, etc. End with a discussion with staff about online versus print, ISSNs and other fun serials related peculiarities.

11:18am: Return to desk. Check email. Check in with staff and answer questions about ebook records and duplicates in OCLC (the provider neutral record won’t be implemented until Aug. 3rd). She gives me a large stack of duplicate ebook records in WorldCat (same vendor, 2 records) to report for de-duplication. Other staff person gives me several print titles that need help via CONSER work. My staff are trying to bury me in paper, clearly.

11:57am: Back to reviewing my intern’s original cataloging serial records. Must. Finish. Today.

12:07pm: Draw on khaki pants with red pen. *%$@#! Find Tide-to-go pen in my desk drawer and use. Red ink gone! [Note: I spill things on myself regularly enough that I have a Tide-to-go pen stashed in multiple places at work, in my bag, and at home. And quit laughing. They work.]

12:08pm: Back to reviewing.

12:38pm: Quick break to walk the printout from OCLC for a title I want over to the Monographic Acquisitions librarian. Ask nicely. She agrees to order it. No arguing or temper tantrum on my part needed! She also promises to hand deliver my copy of Notes for Serials Cataloging, 3rd ed. (edited by friends/colleagues of mine!) to my desk when it arrives. w00t!

12:48pm: Back to desk and reviewing. Realize I need to eat lunch soon…right after I finish this stack.

1:08pm: Finish stack. Return to intern for corrections and final processing. She gives me back a whole new set of titles for review. Will tackle those tomorrow.

1:11pm: Lunch. HUNGRY. Also, need coffees. Go outside to find iced coffee. Hello, humid Philly summer. Think my hair grew outwards a good two inches in frizz during the 1 block walk to *bucks.

2:16pm: Settle in for an afternoon of report writing with an iced coffee and my iPod (to block out the mumble-grumbles from my neighbors in cube land). On tap: ALA reports, Committee reports, and a letter of recommendation for a colleague. Periodically checking on HandHeld Librarian Online Conference tweets via TweetDeck (tag = #hhlib). Technology problems mean I couldn’t get a connection to participate in the online conference if I wanted too…so I’m monitoring instead and will track down presentations if anything seems applicable to my job. Also engage in amusing twitter conversation regarding difficulties of explaining RDA and the impact that may have on training. And yes, I said amusing. Really. We’re thinking RDA shouldn’t be a text, but rather in picture-dictionary style. The text is too confusing.

3:16pm: Take break and visit Serials Librarian in his office to discuss withdrawing of a large number of back issues of cataloging journals (online now) and the next steps in staff training follow up on searching the catalog more effectively/accurately.

3:32pm: Return to desk and writing.

4:01pm: Check in with colleague about a project I’m giving to one of his staff people. Am given go ahead to send her the spreadsheet and instructions. w00t! Have him read over and edit the recommendation I’m writing. He offers several excellent suggestions for clarification/enhancement of my letter.

4:13pm: Back to desk to finish up letter of recommendation.

4:37pm: Recommendation for colleague done and submitted (after a few error messages when attempting to upload a .doc file, I finally just copy and paste into the box on the screen instead of uploading). Email copy of recommendation to colleague for her records. First drafts of ALA reports done. Will review/revise drafts tomorrow morning and send them to colleague for possible publication.

4:50pm: Update to-do list for tomorrow (does it ever get shorter? apparently not!). Update/sync desktop work calendar with online Google calendar. Last review of email and deletion of various listserv messages.

5:16pm: Log off of various and sundry programs. Schedule the publishing of this post. Shut down (restart) computer. Pack up. Bike home in awful humid Philly summer heat.


About slmcdanold

I’m learning to laugh at myself on a daily basis. I’m a librarian (cataloger) and I love it. My job involves all things metadata related in any and all formats. I have been known to cause a ruckus when necessary (aka troublesome cataloger) and make no apologies for it. I have a passion for continuing education and teaching. I’m a newbie coder (still learning). I like to cook. I’m a fan of rugby (go Australian Wallabies!) and ice hockey (go Detroit Red Wings!). I’m car-free and bike/walk a lot. I’m learning to love running one stride at a time. I own (and love) a very mouthy cat with a punk attitude and a slightly neurotic rescue mutt.
This entry was posted in cataloging, librarianship, librarydayinthelife, work. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s