Library Day in the Life – Day 3

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

7:35am: Wake up. Alarm still going off. LATE!! *%$#@ neighbor boys were moving furniture out of their apartment at midnight last night and woke me up with they dropped the couch outside my bedroom window (with much cursing and loud banging, of course). Didn’t get back to sleep for sometime and clearly didn’t wake up to my alarm when it went off at 6:30am. Shower, prepare lunch and thermos of coffee, give cat small amount of milk as treat and appeasement for the upcoming daily abandonment. Grab granola bar for breakfast (to be eaten once I get to work) and ride my bike into work.

8:25am: Arrive at work. Run into staff that arrives early while locking my bike up as she’s on her way to her weekly shift at the Information Desk (a directional desk located by the library entrance).

8:30am: Login to work network. Login to email, calendar, other various and sundry programs. Open up Voyager cataloging and acquisitions modules and OCLC Connexion. Check to-do list made yesterday before I left. Debate eating key lime cookies (a gift from my staff person who was on vacation last week) for breakfast. Decide to be good and eat granola bar.

8:50am: Read email. Forward and respond to necessary messages. Finally get around to pouring coffee from thermos and drinking it. Adrenaline from bike ride wearing off and need to caffeinate appears. Catch up on news feeds, Tweets (TweetDeck FTW!), work email listservs. Scan subjects and then delete mass numbers of listserv messages. Start this post.

9:21am: Check in with second staff person who just arrived. Turns out she was out because she had to put her cat to sleep…I nearly start crying for her (the pain of losing my dog in early June is still pretty fresh).

9:30am: Back to email. Catch up on messages and create new email folder for a semi-new project I got roped into courtesy of the decision by collection development to participate in a cooperative print preservation project. And what do you know…they need input from tech services, specifically the serials cataloger about bibliographic and holdings records fields for containing preservation decisions. We’re now onto phase 2; I commented on phase 1 and thought we were done. Apparently not. This is a “short term” project (this phase to be completed by December). I have no doubt we’ll have a phase 3.

9:50am: Sort through folders on my desk, separate into “committee/project” pile, “daily work” pile, and “library/department” pile. Put appropriate folders into vertical rack. Realize folder for electronic resources record sets is large and unwieldy and needs to divided into sub-folders for various vendors/collections. Will tackle that monster later.

10:05am: Asked about withdrawing entire print run of several cataloging/tech services related journals by librarian head of original cataloging. We have a procedure for this. Explain procedure. Make note to discuss stamping of issues and physical removal with Serials Librarian and/or librarian head of Quality Management.

10:19am: Return to reviewing my intern’s original cataloging serial records.

10:55am: Chat with a friend who shared some very exciting news. Congratulations!! (And no, I can’t be any more specific than that.)

11:00am: Respond to email from librarian in charge of copy cataloging regarding the electronic series my intern has been working on. Meeting about the process and the impact of the provider-neutral e-monograph record (to be implemented August 1st, PDF of final report) will happen early next week.

11:08am: Drop off information about a class separately publication (i.e. analytic) with the Serials Librarian so appropriate notes about treatment can be added to the serial record.

11:18am: Meet with intern. Review stacks of problems/questions/issues remaining on her desk. Promise to have all the original records reviewed and returned to her by end of day today so she can process/finish them tomorrow.

12:02pm: Return to desk. Check voicemail (blinking light on phone). Message from Hebrew cataloging librarian looking for documentation. Return call. Walk her through webpages via phone to documentation. Also discuss current stack of serials in Hebrew script she has that need to be processed. Some are fine, some need edits. Determine plan of attack. She’ll email me when they’re ready for me to process.

12:09pm: Check email. Respond to a few emails that had quick-answer questions.

12:19pm: Read email with weird ISSN problem described. Sigh deeply as I realize I just finished updating that title recently and the ISSNs and cataloging are correct. Respond to email explaining how ISSN work and that each serial title gets a unique ISSN and in this case the publisher just hasn’t caught up and has printed the previous title’s ISSN on the new title in error. Also explain why we don’t use non-English language cataloging records and that the Dutch language record in this case has the wrong ISSN b/c I checked with the ISSN Center. Assure him the cataloging in our local catalog is correct, nothing to see here, please move along and keep your hands and feet away from the edge of the path at all times.

12:43pm: Lunch. It’s Wednesday which means there’s a small farmers’ market on campus 1/2 a block from the library. One stand is for the “fruit guys” who typically have fantastic fruit. Decide I need to go find out what they have. And get a whoopie pie from the Amish stand for dessert. Yum.

1:12pm: Return from farmers’ market. New farm stand and they were selling giant cucumbers at 3 for $1. Purchase three with plans to make my grandmother’s cucumber-dill salad this weekend. Get plums from the fruit guys. And then tragedy! No chocolate whoopie pies! Only pumpkin. But I want chocolate. So I am forced, forced I tell you, to purchase a slice of chocolate-raspberry cake instead. I ignore my mother’s voice in my head to eat dessert first and am good and eat my fruit and tuna-green bean salad first. I even split the rather large slice of cake with my pregnant colleague (feed the pregnant lady…for your own safety and the safety of all your colleagues/friends, trust me).

1:29pm: Finish lunch, check, respond, forward emails.

2:09pm: Realize I’m a doofus and forgot to change my GTalk status. Apparently I’m still at lunch. Oops.

2:10pm: Return to reviewing intern’s original cataloging serial records.

2:12pm: Colleague stops by to express his regret that he will not be able to attend the Supervisors’ Group meeting this afternoon. *smack forehead* Profusely thank him for telling me because it reminded me of the meeting. A meeting for a group I’m chair of and have to run. Hurriedly print out various documentation for the meeting and review notes. Fortunately our head of library HR and I meet regularly to plan the agenda for these meetings ahead of time. Today we’re facilitating a discussion on the University’s computing policy.

2:20pm: Leave desk to go unlock door and fire up computer for meeting. Bring up various online documents for discussion.

4:10pm: Supervisors’ meeting over. Shut down computer and lock up meeting room. Return to desk. Good discussion on creating a “best practices” document for all staff covering use of computer workstations in the library to supplement the University’s computing policy.

4:15pm: Check email. Brief discussion with tech services Director about use of development server by bibliographers to preview the electronic resource record set loads. Also inquire about extending my intern by a few weeks to complete her project. Get go ahead to ask HR about intern policies. Promptly send email to person in HR.

4:31pm: Update calendar. Schedule 2 planning meetings for August Supervisors’ Group meeting. Sync work desktop calendar with Google calendar (it’s a manual thing…no auto-sync yet!).

4:57pm: Update to-do list for tomorrow. Last review of email and deletion of various listserv messages. Log off of various and sundry programs. Schedule the publishing of this post. Shut down (restart) computer. Pack up. Look outside and made decision based on nasty rainstorm to take the trolley home. Bike can have a sleepover in the library (we have a bike rack in the staff area so it’s secure). Leave work.


About slmcdanold

I’m learning to laugh at myself on a daily basis. I’m a librarian (cataloger) and I love it. My job involves all things metadata related in any and all formats. I have been known to cause a ruckus when necessary (aka troublesome cataloger) and make no apologies for it. I have a passion for continuing education and teaching. I’m a newbie coder (still learning). I like to cook. I’m a fan of rugby (go Australian Wallabies!) and ice hockey (go Detroit Red Wings!). I’m car-free and bike/walk a lot. I’m learning to love running one stride at a time. I own (and love) a very mouthy cat with a punk attitude and a slightly neurotic rescue mutt.
This entry was posted in cataloging, librarianship, librarydayinthelife, work. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Library Day in the Life – Day 3

  1. Emily says:

    Dude, don't let Regina see your pluralization of ISSN. "ISSN is neither singular nor plural," according to Regina.

  2. Shana Lee says:

    Oops. Didn't even see that, ahem, typo.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s