You can read all about my favorite holiday in last year’s post. I have the same plan again this year, to stay home and make myself a feast and be grateful for a day to myself with my four legged fuzzy children. Oh, and there will be football, in keeping with the family tradition of watching the Lions as most of my family originates in Michigan. Again I’m trying a few new recipes, trying to expand my holiday dishes repertoire. And since it’s just me, if they turn out terrible no one has to suffer. I’m definitely making enough to have leftovers. I’m all about the open faced turkey sandwiches.
My menu this year:
- Herb-roasted turkey breast (recipe from Ina Garten)
- Gravy (with giblets and a hard boiled egg…it’s a Southern thing)
- Cornbread and caramelized onion dressing (recipe from Tyler Florence)
- Smashed sweet potatoes (recipe again from Ina Garten)
- Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and onion (did this last year – loved it!)
- Cranberry sauce (from my friends AH and DS – all spicy sweet)
I’ve got all the basics there, but with a few twists. Look for a review tomorrow (with pictures). In addition to cooking and relaxing today, I’ll be talking to my friends and family scattered all over the planet to remind them how glad I am they are in my life and giving thanks for their unending support during this rather rough year.