A busy Saturday morning

I wore the dog out. As I’m writing this, Aussie is currently sacked out, and snoring like a freight train. I’ll be lucky if I can coax her off her dog bed to sit out on the porch with me this afternoon.

This morning we went down to Clark Park in the Spruce Hill area of West Philadelphia (followed all that? good!). They have a farmers’ market every Saturday morning, and I wanted to check it out. When I lived in Bloomington, IN (for grad school at Indiana U.), I voluntarily got up extra early to head down to the farmers’ market in town because I love love love fresh local produce. Nothing tastes quite as good as a fresh tomato salad or farm fresh greens. And you can get a week’s worth of fresh veggies and fruits for cheap. What can be better than that?

So when my friend and colleague K told me that they’re heading to the market on Saturday morning, and asked if I wanted to tag along, I jumped at the chance. In addition, the Spruce Hill May Fair is today, also in Clark Park. Booths full of food and goods and information. And the entire area is very dog friendly, so Aussie was welcome.

So the dog and I got up and out of the house and met K and her daughter Maja at the park. Not sleeping in was so worth it. I got some fresh local organic spinach, a dozen eggs from a local farm, some delicious looking and smelling local tomatoes, and a jar of Amish homemade bread and butter pickles (yummy on ham and cheese sandwiches!). Oh, and let’s not forget the whoopie pie from the Amish booth as well, and for only one dollar apiece. Sweet fresh whipped cream sandwiched between two cake-like cookies. Yum. They had several cookie varieties, including oatmeal, but I just had to get the classic chocolate. As my mom taught me, life is uncertain eat dessert first, so I had my dessert at 10:30 this morning. And it was good.

After the farmers’ market, we met up with K’s husband to wander around the May Fair. K had pre-ordered some plants, and I saw that they had recycling bins to give out. I have a recycling bucket, but it’s just that, a bucket, and it doesn’t hold much. Short of driving to the recycling center to get a big rectangular bin, this is the first place that I’ve been able to pick one up. I’m very happy about it, as now I don’t have to be creative to fit all my recyclables in my bucket every other week (I recycle anything and everything I can).

We walked through the booths, and made our way over to where R and Maja were listening to the band. The band was great. They play at a coffee shop and one of the band members is K and R’s neighbor. We picked up some wraps and sat down to eat. I had a yummy veggie wrap, and Aussie tried to charm R into giving her some of his chicken wrap. Alas for Aussie, R and K also have a dog, so R is very practiced at resisting the sad puppy eyes. After eating, R and K had to head out for an afternoon activity with Maja, so Aussie and I wandered through the May Fair a bit more. Some really nice crafts for sale. It’s too bad there wasn’t anything I needed, although I did get the card of an artisan soap maker who had some really nice smelling stuff for future reference.

And of course, since Aussie was with me, we had to stop and greet each and every dog and child we encountered. It’s amazing how many people will talk to you when you have a dog with you, people that probably normally wouldn’t stop to chat, but the dog makes you approachable. I love this. And, fortunately, my dog is extremely friendly and loves all the attention, from child and adult alike. People always want to know what her mix is…and frankly, I have no idea. Since she was a rescue, I don’t know for sure, and none of our vets have ever made an absolute decision either. The only obvious thing is the Basset Hound, so that’s what I tell people: Basset mixed with something or several somethings. All this chatter and dog attention makes for slow going when wandering around events, but it also makes them much more enjoyable.

By this point, Aussie and I had been walking around for several hours, and she was beginning to drag a bit. At 11 years old, and with her short legs, Aussie can only go for so long anymore, we had been there since 10am and it was a little past noon. She had reached her limit, so we headed back to the car. And now she’s sacked out and will probably sleep the rest of the afternoon away. Hm. Maybe I’ll join her for a lazy Saturday afternoon nap.


About slmcdanold

I’m learning to laugh at myself on a daily basis. I’m a librarian (cataloger) and I love it. My job involves all things metadata related in any and all formats. I have been known to cause a ruckus when necessary (aka troublesome cataloger) and make no apologies for it. I have a passion for continuing education and teaching. I’m a newbie coder (still learning). I like to cook. I’m a fan of rugby (go Australian Wallabies!) and ice hockey (go Detroit Red Wings!). I’m car-free and bike/walk a lot. I’m learning to love running one stride at a time. I own (and love) a very mouthy cat with a punk attitude and a slightly neurotic rescue mutt.
This entry was posted in Aussie, dog, food, friendship, Philly, things to do. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to A busy Saturday morning

  1. katia says:

    Glad you had a good time!!! “K”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s